Vegan Potato Chickpea Stew (from "Crazy for Curry" Night with The Alberni Veg Supper Club)
This lovely Indian Vegan Chickpea Stew makes 4 generous servings and takes only 30 minutes to prepare once you have all the supplies in order. Delicious spiced vegetables simmered in a savory gravy with spinach and raisins. Toasted cashews and fresh lemon add crunch and zest!
Vegan Potato Chickpea Stew
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled, sliced in to 1/2" OR use Sweet Potatoes (same cut)
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala *
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chopped Garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Yellow Onion
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 (14 oz) can of Chickpeas (or 2 cups cooked and drained)
- 4 Tbsp. Raisins
- 1/3 Cup Cashew Pieces
- 3 Cups Spinach Leaves
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro Leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed Lemon Juice
- *Click to go to Recipe for HomeMade Garam Masala
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is simmering, add the carrots, potatoes, garam masala, and cumin. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add in the garlic and onion and stir well.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and allow the mixture to boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and the raisins, cover the pan and turn the heat down to medium-low. Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, place a dry sauté pan over medium heat and toast the cashews, stirring frequently for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the stew is done simmering, stir in the spinach and allow it to wilt for 1 minute.
- Stir in the cilantro leaves and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle the cashews over the top before serving.