Apple Pudding Cake: Apfel-Puddingkuchen (From the menu for "Ve Eat" German Favourites at the May 23, 2019 Alberni Veg Supper Club)
If you are looking for a yummy German dessert that is pretty easy to make, this Apple Pudding Cake should take the cake (hahaha). Some of the really delicious German desserts require the 'from scratch' use of baker's yeast, and for many of us who grew up in the Time of the Instant Cake Mix, we would likely do a pass on that. Most German desserts are heavy on cream, butter and eggs, and some are not so "vegan-izable"-- or if they are, they are not really that tasty. But this lovely comforting apple pudding cake is easy to make and doesn't require any ingredients that upset vegans.
This recipe for Apfel-Puddingkuchen is part of the collection for the "Ve Eat" German Favourite Recipes for the May 23, 2019 Alberni Supper Club meeting. You can find out more about the Supper Club and the other recipes at the bottom of the recipe below.
- 4 Apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar (I used Coconut Sugar which has a mild caramel flavour)
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Non-dairy Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla or Almond Extract
- 2-3 tsp. Vegan Butter or Coconut Oil (optional-- I left this out)
- 2 Cups Boiling Water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius)
- In a deep 9" x 9" pan, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the apple slices and mix until coated with the flour mixture.
- Add the milk that has been mixed with the vanilla or almond extract.
- Stir until everything is moistened. Smooth the top. Dot the butter on top.
- Put pan on rack in oven and carefully pour in 2 cups of boiling water. DO NOT STIR. (Put a baking sheet under the pan. Sometimes it bubbles over when it is baking.)
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Sprinkle extra cinnamon on top if desired, or omit.
- Top with Coconut (non-dairy) yogurt or Almond Sour Cream
The Alberni Vegetarian Supper Club is a culinary treat and then some. Beginners or "old hands" at cooking are delighted with the international and local recipes.
Who attends? People from different cultural backgrounds and all age groups.
What do they have in common? They all want to made eating healthier a daily habit.
What if you cannot cook but want to sample? We have several folks who love attending but don't cook. Join us for dinner with a $3 donation to help us out with the food and rental costs.
Each month, a suggested Vegetarian/Vegan themed recipe list is sent out (e.g., Crazy for Curries or Turning Japanese or Eat like a Canuck ) and attendees select a recipe or 2 to make and share at the Supper Club meeting.
Are you an absolute beginner? No worries, vegetarian cooking tips and help is just an email away. For demos and hands on experiences, feel free to come an hour earlier on the meeting day and learn some cooking techniques as we prepare sample dishes at the kitchen.
Cooking demonstrations are held as requested and often get lively as folks happily jump in and participate, Children and teens find it great fun and interesting to be able to easily create delectable dishes and wholesome treats.
Nutritional Nuggets and Healing Food Recipes are shared as seasonal and health concerns arise. For example, during colder months, a Turmeric Latte (recipe following) is served for its anti-inflammatory and immune boosting properties. And if you’re feeling under the weather, a hot drink often feels great going down and the bonus is it helps you feel better faster!
Interested? Join the fun every 3rd Thursday of the month (except summer break in July and August) at 6 p.m. at the Basement Kitchen of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, 4109 Kendall Street, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 4H9. If you want to look over the monthly recipe list, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Be blessed, know and enjoy your foods, boost your life!
OTHER APPLE CAKES:
Cowboy Cake (from a Vegetarian Cooking Class with Wyona Hertwig)
APPLE-WALNUT HERMIT COOKIE RECIPE (VEGAN)