No Frills Healthy: Strawberry-Blueberry Fruit Salad
One time I was visiting a friend and opened her fridge to see a bowl of the most beautiful red and blue salad-- strawberries and blueberries. I have made this simple, delicious, healthy fruit salad many times over the years. It is particularly delicious if made with fresh organic home-grown sun-ripened berries and eaten under an umbrella on the deck-- but it is actually just as healthy and delicious when eaten anywhere, and store-bought ripe organic berries are a fine choice!
Please add one or two of your own favourite seasonal fruits/berries if you wish. Opt out of strawberries if you are allergic to them (that is definitely NOT the idea here) and pick another colorful berry or fruit that agrees with you.
I have offered a vegan version to make this a jelled salad using powder made from the sea vegetable agar agar (do not buy flakes, only powder for this recipe).
STRAWBERRY-BLUEBERRY SALAD (Vegan Jellied version)
- 2 Cups fresh Strawberries
- 2 Cups fresh Blueberries
- 2 Cups Ripe Seasonal Fruit of your Choice (or increase berries by 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 Cup Apple Juice
- 1 1/2 T. Agar-Agar Powder (buy at Health Store)
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 1 3/4 Cup Apple Sauce
- 1/4 Cup shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- In a saucepan, whisk together the apple juice and agar agar, heating gently (Medium-LOW heat) until dissolved. Whisk/stir constantly.
- When completely dissolved, take the apple juice-agar agar off the burner and let it cool.
- Wash the berries, hulling and slicing the strawberries. If you choose to include another fruit, wash, peel, chop. Set aside.
- BLEND together the Bananas and Apple Sauce until smooth.
- Combine the Banana-Apple Sauce with the Agar Agar-Apple Juice Mixture. Stir in the Coconut Shreds.
- Pour the sauce over the berries and fruit and mix gently.
- Pour into a salad bowl or jelly ring, if desired, and chill until set.
IF NOT OPTING FOR A JELLIED SALAD:
- BLEND together the banana, apple juice and apple sauce, and stir in coconut shreds.
- Pour sauce over salad in a salad bowl. Stir gently to combine fruit and sauce.
This recipe was adapted from a recipe for Strawberry-Nectarine-Blueberry Salad found in Recipes For Life From God's Garden