Vegan Dill Pickle Feta Spread

Vegan Dill Pickle Feta Spread



I tried a few recipes for vegan feta but none of them quite achieved the sharp, slightly acidic saltiness

that I was looking for. I imagine I could have come close if I had used more salt (probably a lot more salt) and likely a juiced entire lemon. I think I may go for more lemon juice, but I definitely won't be 'upping' the salt level. 

So. In an impulsive moment, prodded by the hungry adults in the other room, I jacked up the acidic code with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and another jolt of dried dill. When I next taste-tested it, I was reminded of dill pickles-- without actually having used such an ingredient. Dill pickles have become a luxury in this household (they are, indeed, also a luxury item in the grocery store these days-- especially our preference, the dill pickles made by a more natural fermentation process.) Quite delicious, if I do say so myself. I hope you agree!

INGREDIENTS:
  1. 1 cup well-cooked or canned, drained, and rinsed white beans (I used Cannellini)
  2. 1 cup of cashews or sunflower seeds, soaked over night, drained and rinsed
  3. 3 minced garlic cloves
  4. 1 tablespoon dried dillweed
  5. 1/2 juiced lemon
  6. 2 to 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  7. 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
  8. 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  9. 1 tablespoon nutrtitional yeast
  10. 2+ tablespoons water for thinning the spread
  11. 1 tablespoon of chopped herbs of preference (parsley, dill, cilantro)
Blend all of the above ingredients to a silky texture. A vitamix works well, but done in batches, any blender should work with the softened nuts, minced garlic and cooked white beans with extra water if needed. 

Put in a container with a lid and refrigerate for several hours. 

Really tastes great the second day! Is great as a spread for bread or crackers, a dip (with a little extra water added?), and even a small "cheese balls" rolled in crushed walnuts or pecans and then refrigerated again, or frozen to be thawed at a later date.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin "Cheesecake" - Healthy Choices Recipe by Dr. D. Blaney (Vegan)

Quick Mexican Tortilla Casserole with Cheeze Sauce (Healthy Choices Wellness Workshop)

Shirley's Sweet and Sour Sauce

Lentil Roast, a Healthy Choices Vegan Recipe by Dr. Darlene Blaney, PhD Nutritionist

Quinoa Salad from Healthy Choices with Dr. Darlene Blaney (and a Bonus Quinoa Thai Salad Recipe)

Pecan Nut "Meatballs" Recipe (dairy-free, egg-free)

Pecan Nut Roast (Vegan, No Added Oils, Gluten-Free)

Russian Potato-Green Bean-Sauerkraut Soup (Vegan, Gluten-Free)

Recipe for Nuteena-like Sandwich Spread (Vegan) (Gluten-free)

Apple Duff Dessert (Suggestions for Gluten-Free and Vegan Subs)