Is this the very tasty vegan Mushroom Gravy recipe by Shirley Gong (and part of "Shirley's Sauces" this page)? This mushroom gravy recipe is part of the repertoire of delicious sauces that regularly appear at the meals put together by the Port Alberni Adventist Church.
|Shirley's Mushroom Gravy|
- 1/2 c. Vegetable Oil
- 5 Qt./Li. or 2 1/2 pounds of sliced Mushrooms
- Optional: 1 1/2 pounds of diced Onions, to add sweetness
- 1/2 C. Soy Sauce or Tamari Sauce
- 1 C. Apple Juice mixed with 1/2 C. Water and 1/2 C. Nutritional Yeast (if not using Veg. Stock)
- 2 1/2 Qt./Li. Vegetable Stock or Water (if using the above Apple Juice Mix)
- 1 T. each of dried Sage, Thyme and Marjoram (or 3 T. Poultry Seasoning)
- 3/4 C. Cornstarch
- 1 C. Cold Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in pan, sauté mushrooms until tender. Remove and set aside.
- Sauté finely diced onions until translucent.
- Add Juice, Soy sauce stock and seasonings, and bring to a boil. Reduce to low boil (Med-Low)
- For smooth gray, purée mixture with an immersion blender.
- Make a slurry of Corn Starch and ColdWater
- Slowly add the above slurry, adding it to the pot continuously until the gravy thickens
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
This is yummy! Vegan SHAM CHOWDER - the vegan take on Clam Chowder https://t.co/mvpXIAB1Ht pic.twitter.com/cvw31QASPT— ComoxValleyAdventist (@comoxadventist) February 28, 2016