I have to tell you that this BAKED TOFU recipe is one of my favourite tofu recipes of all time.
|Baked Tofu: Sesame Surprise|
Well, here we are back again! Because we have such great respect for slim heralds of plant-strong health like Dr. Darlene Blaney (recipes on this site), Dr. Hans Diehl, Dr. John A. McDougall, Lani Muelrath, Dr. Neal Barnard, and Dr. Walter Veith (see more below the recipe), among many others, some people we actually rub shoulders with on a weekly basis, these tofu-eating crusaders for a healthy lifestyle have won us back again to tofu. We're sort of like "slacker voters" I guess... we go with who impresses us the most with their pitch for benefits we will receive, and we vote with our forks. But remember that the 'fake' soy products on the grocery shelf: soy bacon, soy burgers,etc., are meant to be eaten like birthday cake...very rarely, if ever. If you do eat soy, eat it as it has been eaten traditionally for hundreds of years: as tofu, seitan, miso.
On with the BAKED TOFU:Sesame Surprise Recipe
- 1 Block of Organic Medium Firm Tofu, 350 g
- 1/4 C. Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 2 T. Coconut Sugar or Maple Syrup
- 2 T. Ketchup
- 1 T. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pinch of Chipotle or dash of Hot Sauce
- 2 T. Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder (or 2 minced garlic bulbs)
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Hickory Smoke liquid (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C
- Line a small cake pan with parchment paper or spray with oil
- Press Tofu gently between two clean towels or paper towels until most of excess moisture is removed, and then slice in half from side to side of block and into 1 inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, stir together Tamari, Sugar, Ketchup, Vinegar and Chipotle powder or hot sauce until well combined. Add in Sesame Seeds, Garlic Powder or mince, black pepper and liquid smoke.
- Fold in the tofu, attempting not to break them up.
- Let the tofu marinate for about 5 or more minutes in the sauce.
Marinating the tofu
- Gently spoon the cubes into a pan so they are arranged in a single layer
- Pour the sauce over them and put in the oven for 35 - 45 minutes, depending on how 'textured' you like them to be (they become somewhat chewier the longer they are in the oven)
- Serve over rice or quinoa with a salad or side of steamed greens.
Other dramatic events brought them to North America. Dr. Veith, as an imminent scientist, and teacher, has the ability to make current food and nutritional science understandable, even fascinating.
You will be amazed at how our health choices have a Biblical base. I highly recommend that you watch one of these videos each few days and try not to watch them all at once... there is so much "new information" that you will feel like your head will explode if you watch them back -to- back, although you might be tempted to do so... but, mainly, watch, think, and pray about changes you can make in your life so that you can experience "Life at Its Best". I've provided the first video in the series below-- the other ones can be seen as stand-alones or in a series (best) on Youtube, or purchased as DVDs on the Amazing Discoveries site.